- What's On
- Courses, Classes and Workshops
- News & Blogs
- Your Visit
- About Us
- Venue Hire
Radio 3’s world music programme brings you the best roots-based music from across the world and the freshest emerging talent, classic tracks and new releases.
Presenter Kathryn Tickell comes to Sage Gateshead to explore the emotional power of music and song from different global cultures. There will be live music from Teesside folk trio The Young’uns, who use the sea shanty and work song traditions of the north east to tell real human stories, Senegalese Kora player Senny Camara and blues guitarist Ramon Goose delve into the soul and emotion of West African blues.
Kathryn Tickell is acclaimed as the world’s foremost exponent of the Northumbrian pipes. A composer, performer and educator she has released 15 albums and performed with the Chieftains, Evelyn Glennie, Sting, Penguin Café Orchestra and many others. A former Musician of the Year in BBC Radio 2’s Folk Awards, in 2015 she was awarded the OBE, in 2016 she founded Magnetic North East and she currently tours with her new band The Darkening.
For your information…
- Phase one tickets will be available from 12noon on Friday 15 February, with phase two tickets available from 12noon on Friday 1 March.
- Tickets are strictly limited to four per person.
- To guarantee your ticket book in advance. There will be some tickets available on the day on a first come, first served basis.
- Please take your seats 10 minutes prior to the event start time otherwise you may lose your place.
Part of BBC Radio 3 Free Thinking Festival
Welcome to the Free Thinking Festival from BBC Radio 3. All weekend here at Sage Gateshead we’re gathering together a throng of talented individuals to wrestle, debate and celebrate the theme of this year’s festival: Emotion. Whether it’s the angry turn in contemporary politics,...